Monday 4 August 2008

We survive birthday party

I forgot to mention midweek that I was off training. Trained in all 3 disciplines Tuesday as normal but didn't feel very well, feeling really tired especially in the shoulders and some symptoms of a cold. Both children are unwell and I had spent the previous weekend cutting /pruning some of our trees to provide some of next years fire wood.

The birthday party: Teresa and I are both teachers and have plenty of experience of handling lager amounts of children classes of over 30 and sometimes much larger groups and yet we were caught out on Saturday. There is nothing quite like a storm of 6year old girls in party mood especially when they have had 3 parties on successive weekends.

In the post party analysis and reflection we concluded that:

  1. They were high before they got here

  2. They wanted a sugar fix

  3. The girls all know Teresa and I because we teach at their school- so they were familiar and not intimidated by meeting Emily's parents.
  4. But the most important point was that 5 of the girls arrived together


This was significant because poor Emily got hit with 5 presents all at once and while she was dealing with one gift the girls lost interest and started getting their fingers into everything.

My initial reaction was to do what I would do as a teacher and get them all sitting down and quiet ready to listen but I held back because I didn't want to be overly strict because I thought Teresa would tell me off. As it happens Teresa wished I had because she realised that what was needed. We fianlly regrouped and got them busy doing games and eating and towards the end it started going as planned just in time for the parents to come and get them.

This is Emily's first party as a school girl and there will be many more parties and lessons have been learnt at this one. On a positive note the road was usable and the weather stayed fine so they could let off steam in the garden.


Join the movement and we'll start a revolution - stop all unnecessary shopping - seperate your needs from your wants.

No comments: