Thursday 12 November 2009

Rant

Just got the final payment from the client from hell. I was drawn into the acrimonious mud slinging but saved myself. I had just sent an email that contained the phrase 'if you don't pay by Wednesday your website will be offline!' I sat back after it went and felt sick and thought this is not me. I immediately sent another email saying this isn't how I operate my business and I am ending this unpleasantness and that I would end the stalemate by sorting out the issue that had caused the problem. I just decided it didn't matter who was right or wrong somebody had to be above it.

I immediately felt 100% better and I didn't care if she thought she won it just wasn't worth it. I also wanted to get paid and then she go elsewhere when she needed help. She had already told me she wished she hadn't come to me.

I related this to 2 of my existing clients one of which has been with me for 3 years and the other 2 and I told them how much I appreciated their laid back attitudes.


Then yesterday I finished a basic website for someone (I only do basic because there is a demand) I do them cheap but I still put in a lot of effort with the design, theydon't have the finer details and they don't get to change anything about the design. This one was a bookbinding business, I designed his website selling him as a craftsman with 50years experience. Why did I bother, he just complained that things weren't the way his old one had been. I think he just would have been happy if I had just plonked some photos in the middle of a screen.

A lot of people just don't know what makes a good website, they can't tell the difference. No thanks, no appreciation. Thankfully I know that the vast majority of my clients think I do a great job because they tell and refer me to others. It is just that you always remember the negative ones and it just so happens I've had two in a row.

Teresa said that they are just negative people in life in general.

I'm going to do a training post tomorrow.

Join the movement and we'll start a revolution - stop all unnecessary shopping - seperate your needs from your wants.

No comments: