Saturday 29 March 2008

Active recovery and spare time

I officially finished training for 2007/2008 season and although I only raced once I still trained hard and my body and brain needed a break.

I was looking back at the training diaries from my best patch of racing olympic distance. What I figured out was what I already new I trained easier, more consistantly and different have formal rest weeks they just happened when I felt I needed them or events beyond my control.

The other thing I never had any time completely off because my mind needed to know that I was still doing something so I wouldn't fret (Iam a compulsive person). So I keep doing tiny bits and just increase it slightly each week, so I am getting active recovery with plenty of days off. I started just
running 1 mile last week, this week I will do a 1 mile and a 2mile run
Bike I started with a 10min and a 15min trainer ride
You get the idea
What have I been doing instead, digging up old bricks from the garden (from a previous owner) and edging the veggie garden, filled on the holes with compost, tidying the compost area and giving it an edge. Planting more berry plants, harvesting walnuts.

Doing loads of reading mostly blogs / websites on personal finance (growing wealth slowly), organic gardening, living simply and frugally, living free in New York (Freegans), keeping chickens/ rescuing battery hens (we are planning on getting some and I have been pricing wood and drawing plans to make their home), trying out new recipes and triathlon until I couldn't face anymore.

In my next post I plan to put up a list and add them to the links on my page. I also plan to post photos of the garden.

Work wise one of my clints has left me hanging with an ecommerce I can't use, the swimming club is still deciding on designs and it still hasn't gone to committee. So paying work is slow but I am using the time productively redesigning a clients content management system making it much more usable.

Emily is progressing rapidly with her swimming and Cameron is still improving riding his trike to kindergarten. I can't wait for him to ride his proper bike(with training wheel) at the moment he can manage two pedals and then starts spinning backwards. I think I expect a lot he is only 3yrs and 2 months.

Till next time.

No comments: