Tuesday 2 December 2008

Garden update

Gardens going well black raspberries are really amazing and we have had some red. I've had a battle with some birds that have nested in one of the trees, I have to seal the raspbeirries in a bird netting cocoon. Strawberries are providing 2- 4 fruit a day. Feijoa tree almost died through a lack of water, I honestly thought it was drought resistant. We have started buying a different variety of feijoa (it has a beautiful red flower) to grow into a hedge at out front fence to replace the trees I have been slowly cutting down. I just don't see the point of keeping trees pruned if they don't provide yummy treats.
Harvested the second half of the garlic crop 23 bulbs of proper garlic. We have planted two types of runner beans (one is purple until it is cooked) and after the success of the broadbeans I insisted on another so we found some butter bean seedlings. We also planted courgettes and cucumbers as seedling as the hens had messed with our seeds before I hen proofed the veggie beds.

Garlic (second batch)


The best garlic bulb from first batch


Cameron wearing my beaten up sunhat (its the hat or skin cancer) the hole in the ozone layer is directly above New Zealand


Winning the raspberry battle

Final note..

New Bertha is broody, my friend Shelly who gave us new Bertha asked the other day did we want chicks and if so let them know when we have a broody hen. We're undecided, Ill probably see Shelly at her stall at the farmers' market on Sunday and ask her for a fertilised egg.


Join the movement and we'll start a revolution - stop all unnecessary shopping - seperate your needs from your wants.

No comments: