Wednesday 11 February 2009

Olympic distance Race goals achieved but...

Even during the swim I was thinking I could just do the swim and pull out. But then I realised it was going well, navigation was spot on, tiring with about 200m of the second 750m lap to go.

The two days leading up to the race were not ideal, we were staying in a holiday house in Accacia Bay at lake Taupo. Emily and Cameron were very excited and slept very little. We had car trouble and I was worrying if we were going to able to get home.

Registration was the day before and took ages I'd left the family at the house thank goodness. There are still a lot of posers who can talk a good race. I had an enjoyable chat with an older lady who was doing the entry level race of 300m 9km and 3km run.

And from that point I relaxed knowing that I nothing to prove to anybody. After the swim I had a trouble free transition, got on the bike and rode the 40km on a course that was hillier than I was expecting. But I just took it easy paced myself and this sums up the race. I wasn't there to race I was there to turn the clock back 13years and complete the race (without being last) and to see if I still wanted to do the longer races.

And I did with a smile on my face for almost all the bike - because for all the three laps on the bike, 4 laps on the run Teresa, Emily and Cameron were cheering for me. And that is how it's going to be from now on, I want to get back to being as fast as I can I want to race this race next year but not at the expense of everything else. I saw what I used to be like 13 years ago in the faces of others and I just want to be happy no matter what my time is. The bottom line is my children don't care, Teresa doesn't care she just wants me to be happy.

I must admit Olympic distance Race goals achieved but... the wheels fell of a little on the run, first two laps of a tough little course easy, number 3 felt it a little bit (not running much for the last 4 weeks) will do that, but on the last lap my injury in my left leg flared up and it really hurt almost walked but didn't.

Overall I was pleased with my time (which for the younger me) considering but I just cruised most of it. It was an added bonus that most my race gear is old and old and secondhand, it made feel great.

At bike check in the guy inspecting the bikes commented about my old epic "ooh a classic, don't sell it!"


ps: For those who don't know The distances were 1500m swim, 40km bike and 10km continuously.

Join the movement and we'll start a revolution - stop all unnecessary shopping - seperate your needs from your wants.

No comments: